Welcome to The List 2020


Hmm. 2020.

Despite everything this year, music was of course still made and played.

So, as we have all been trying to do in so many ways, here I attempt to carry on as normal, and present The List 2020: my traditional annual rundown of my 20 favourite albums of the year. 

This tradition is one that my friend Adam and I started in the year 2000, and we have done it every year since. This is therefore the 20th anniversary of the tradition, and this my 21st annual list. All of my previous lists are also available online – see the bottom of this year’s pages for links. 

To qualify for the list, an album needs to have been studio recorded, full length, and released in the year in question. 

I’ve tried not to talk about you-know-what as I go through these albums, but there are inevitably some mentions of it here and there. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy the sheer unimportance of me discussing 20 excellent albums in excessive detail. 


Merry Christmas, and wishing us all a much happier New Year.